A free, open source, on-the-fly (OTFE) transparent disk encryption program
FreeOTFE is a free, open source, “on-the-fly” (OTFE) transparent disk encryption program.
Using FreeOTFE, you can create one or more “virtual disks” on your PC – anything written to which will be automatically, and securely, encrypted before being stored.
Here are some key features of “FreeOTFE”:
· Source code freely available.
· Easy to use; full wizard included for creating new volumes.
· Data encrypted on your PC can be read/written on your PDA, and vice versa.
· Powerful: Supports numerous hash/encryption algorithms, and provides a greater level of flexibility than a number of other (including commercial!) OTFE systems.
· Hash algorithms include: MD5, SHA-512, RIPEMD-160, Tiger and many more.
· Cyphers include AES (256 bit), Twofish (256 bit), Blowfish (448 bit), Serpent (256 bit) and many more.
· “Portable mode” included; FreeOTFE doesn’t need to be installed before it can be used – making it ideal for carrying your data securely on USB drives!
· “Hidden” volumes may be concealed within other FreeOTFE volumes, providing “plausible deniability”.
· FreeOTFE volumes have no “signature” to allow them to be identified as such.
· Encrypted volumes can be either file or partition based.
· Modular design allowing 3rd party drivers to be created, incorporating new hash/cypher algorithms.
· Supports password salting (up to 512 bits), reducing the risks presented by dictionary attacks.
· Allows users to backup and restore the critical areas of volume files.
· Keyfile support included; store volumes and their associated metadata separately.
· Uses per-sector IVs, including support for ESSIV.
· Volume file timestamps and attributes are reset after dismounting, increasing “plausible deniability”.
· Supports volumes files up to 2^63 bytes (8388608 TB).
What’s New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· French translation added
· Corrected fault causing exit status 102 to be returned when mounting volume from the command line with “/silent” specified
· Various cosmetic improvements (mainly relating to translations)
Please comments and give ratings. You may also report of broken or incorrect link using comments box below. Thanks!