Avast! Home Edition description
The free antivirus for home noncommercial use – scans for viruses, worms and Trojans
avast! 4 Home Edition is a free complete ICSA certified antivirus software for home noncommercial use.
avast! obtained VB100% awards in 2002/3 Virus Bulletin comparative reviews under Windows XP Pro and under Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
avast! Home Edition includes the following components:
? On Demand Scanner – with Skinnable Simple Interface – just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button.
? On Access Scanner – resident scanning of all files being opened, read and written and behavior blocker monitoring dangerous actions of viruses.
? E-mail scanner easily integrates with most mail clients and it checks both incoming and outgoing mails, it provides heuristic analysis of mail content to protect against new Worms.
? Boot Time Scanner – scans disks in the same way and in the same time as Windows CHKDSK does (on NT/2000/XP only).
? Explorer Scanner – right click on the object allows you to scan it.
? Screen Saver Scanner – integrates with your Screen Saver to scan PC during your coffee breaks.
? Virus Chest – safety isolated folder to store infected, suspicious and even some system files – to restore them.
Protect your system and valuable data against computer viruses with Avast! Home Edition.
Our true incremental updates are based on iAVS technology and they are available for virus definition file update and for program upgrade.
You can download and install updates by simple clicking on the iAVS icon, it can be checked and done automatically when you are On-line.
The update files of size under 100 KB are available at least twice a week and within couple of hours in the case of emergency of new virus. They are automatically downloaded, installed and loaded to avast! without restart or logoff.
NOTE: The software requires FREE registration before the trial period end. You can register here.
· For a computer with Windows 95/98/Me: PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard disk space
· For a computer with Windows NT 4.0: PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard disk space, Service Pack 3 or higher installed
· For a computer with Windows 2000/XP: PC Pentium, 64 MB RAM (128 MB recommended), 50 MB of free hard disk space
· For a computer with Windows Vista: PC Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard disk space
· The program itself requires 20 MB, the rest is reserved for the virus recovery database file and its index. [VRDB, also known as the “integrity database” from the previous version]
· A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for the program to work.
· 60 days trial evaluation
What’s New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· improvements in some unpackers (WinExec, Installer, ZIP)
· improved memory scan, especially under 64-bit operating systems
· fixed a possible deadlock condition when copying system files from some removable media
· fixed a possible problem with access rights when deleting infected files on reboot
· Web Shield: minor stability fixes
· Internet Mail: smtp.gmail.com and smtp.live.com now ignored on port 25 (as these are SSL only)
· improved healing of some infected files
· various fixes and improvements in the scanning engine
· Web Shield now scans pages compressed with the “deflate” algorithm
· performance optimization of Standard Shield under Windows Vista
· improvements in the automatic sample submission system
· improvements in the URL blocker
Please comments and give ratings. You may also report of broken or incorrect link using comments box below. Thanks!