Trojan.Mebroot Removal Tool description
Antivirus tool that will enable the removal of Trojan.Mebroot
If you are on a network or have a full-time connection to the Internet, such as a DSL or cable modem, disconnect the PC from the network and Internet. Disable or password-protect file sharing, or set the shared files to Read Only, before reconnecting the PCs to the network or to the Internet.
Because this worm spreads by using shared folders on networked workstations, to ensure that the worm does not reinfect the PC after it has been removed, Symantec suggests sharing with Read Only access or by using password protection.
If you are using a non-standard Master Boot Record (MBR) or if you use encryption on your HDDs or partitions, we recommend that you make a back up before running this removal tool.
Note for network administrators: If you are running MS Exchange 2000 Server, we recommend that you exclude the M drive from the scan by running the utility from a command line, with the Exclude switch.
· Download the file from
· Save the file to a convenient location, such as your Windows desktop.
· Close all the running programs.
· If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.
· If you are running Windows Me or XP, turn off System Restore
· Locate the file that you just downloaded.
· Double-click the FixMebroot.exe file to start the removal tool.
· Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run [If you have any problems when you run the tool, or it does nor appear to remove the threat, restart the computer in Safe mode and run the tool again]
· Restart the computer.
· Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.
· If you are running Windows Me/XP, then reenable System Restore.
· If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, reconnect the computer to the network or to the Internet connection.
The Removal Tool does the following:
· Restores the Master Boot Record
· Terminates the associated processes
· Deletes the associated files
The following switches are designed for use by network administrators:
· /HELP, /H, /?
Displays the help message.
Disables the registry repair (We do not recommend using this switch).
· /SILENT, /S
Enables the silent mode.
· /LOG=[PATH NAME]
Creates a log file where [PATH NAME] is the location in which to store the tool’s output. By default, this switch creates the log file, FixMebroot.log, in the same folder from which the removal tool was executed.
Scans the mapped network drives. (We do not recommend using this switch. See the following Note.)
Forces the tool to immediately start scanning.
Excludes the specified [PATH] from scanning. (We do not recommend using this switch. See the following Note.)
Disables the cancel feature of the removal tool.
Prevents the scanning of the file system.
Disables checking for unpatched files.
· You must have administrative rights to run this tool on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.
Please comments and give ratings. You may also report of broken or incorrect link using comments box below. Thanks!